Apple’s iPhone 11 was the best-selling smartphone in the first half of 2020, according to a report by research firm Omdia. With nearly 37.7 million sold, the iPhone 11 was three times more popular than the second best-seller (the Samsung Galaxy A51) and sold 10.8 million more than last year’s best seller, the iPhone XR.
But with so many other smartphone options and the launch of the iPhone 12, is the 2019 iPhone 11 still worth all the hype? Keep reading to find out the pros and cons of the iPhone 11!
iPhone 11: Pros & Cons
Announced in September 2019, the iPhone 11 was released alongside the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Originally priced at $699, the iPhone 11 was touted as Apple’s newest low-priced phone and the successor to 2018’s slightly pricier iPhone XR. It boasts the same form and screen as the XR, but with Apple’s all-new A13 Bionic chip and an upgraded camera system.
- More affordable at a starting price of $599, which is $100 less than before the iPhone 12 launch.
- Fastest smartphone chip. Apple’s A13 Bionic chip is currently the best mobile processor on the planet.
- Dual-camera system, consisting of the Wide and all-new Ultra Wide cameras. It also features Night Mode for impressive low light photography and new Portrait options.
- Amazing video quality with 4K recordings, richer & deeper wide stereo audio, and one of the best video stabilization in a smartphone.
- Excellent all-day battery life. You can watch up to 17 hours of video on a single charge, plus it has support for 18W fast charge & Qi-compatible wireless charging.
- Tougher. The iPhone 11 is protected by Gorilla Glass that’s claimed to be the “toughest glass on the planet.” It has an IP68 rating for dust & water resistance and can survive in 2 meters of non-salty water for up to 30 minutes. The 11’s front glass also has an oleophobic coating, which helps protect against fingerprints and smudges.
- More fun color options than most iPhone models. The iPhone 11 comes in 6 color options: Purple, Yellow, Green, Black, White, and Red.
- Great sound quality from the stereo speaker.
- Still pricey for a smartphone. While the iPhone 11 is cheap for an iPhone, it’s still one of the more expensive smartphones on the market.
- No upgrade in screen resolution compared to the iPhone XR. Plus, the notch and bezels are still huge and it’s not a very compact or lightweight smartphone.
- No telephoto lens. While the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max have a triple-camera system, the iPhone 11’s camera system is only dual-lens with Wide and Ultra Wide.
- Ultra Wide lens lacks autofocus and Night Mode, which are only available using the Wide camera.
- Fast-charge adapter not included. Despite having support for fast charging, the iPhone 11 comes only with a 5W charger in the box, while the Pro and Pro Max both include the 18W adapter.
- Limited storage. Starting price comes with 64GB of storage and the maximum capacity is only 256GB.
- LTE is slightly slower than the iPhone 11 Pro.
What’s the difference between the iPhone 11 and the 11 Pro?
With more “Pro” features, the iPhone 11 Pro comes at a significantly higher price point of $999. The most obvious differences involve the camera system and finish, but there are also upgrades in terms of display, battery life, and durability.
|iPhone 11||iPhone 11 Pro|
|Camera||Dual-Camera System: Ultra Wide and Wide||Triple-Camera System: Ultra Wide, Wide, and Telephoto|
|Display||6.1” Liquid Retina HD LCD display||5.8” Super Retina XDR OLED display|
|Materials & Finishes||Aluminum & glass design||Stainless steel & glass design, with premium textured matte finish on back|
|Battery Life||Up to 17 hours of video playback (Fast-charge adapter not included)||Up to 18 hours of video playback (Fast-charge adapter included)|
|Water Resistance||Up to 2 meters for 30 minutes||Up to 4 meters for 30 minutes|
|Colors||6 Options: Purple, Yellow, Green, Black, White, or Red||4 Options: Midnight Green, Silver, Space Gray, or Gold|
|Capacity||64GB, 128GB, or 256GB||64GB, 256GB, or 512GB|
The Bottom Line on the iPhone 11
With the iPhone 11, you get most of Apple’s latest upgrades without any price jump. Running the fastest smartphone processor and equipped with a new camera system that has an Ultra Wide lens, the 11 is the best bang for your buck that Apple has offered in recent years. Those big on photography or need extensive storage may want to fork up the few extra hundred dollars for the additional telephoto lens or 512GB model of the 11 Pro or 11 Pro Max, but for most, the iPhone 11 will be worth the buy.
FAQs: Everything you need to know about the iPhone 11
What’s the difference between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XR?
The iPhone 11 has Ultra Wide and Wide cameras with Night Mode, along with three additional portrait lighting effects and 4K video recording, while the older iPhone XR only has a single 12MP wide camera and 1080p HD video recording.
Additionally, the iPhone 11 has Apple’s latest A13 Bionic chip with the 3rd generation neural engine, an additional hour of battery life, and is resistant to an extra 1m of water compared to the iPhone XR.
Both the iPhone 11 and XR come in 64GB and 128GB models, but the iPhone 11 also has a 256GB option.
What’s the difference between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XS?
With it’s 6.1” display, the iPhone 11 is slightly bigger than the 5.8” iPhone XS. However, the XS does have the Super Retina XDR OLED display, which boasts higher resolution, deeper blacks, and more pixels than the 11’s Liquid Retina HD LCD display.
Camera-wise, they both have dual camera systems: the iPhone 11 has Ultra Wide and Wide cameras (plus Night Mode), while the XS has Wide and Telephoto cameras.
Again, the iPhone 11 has the faster Bionic chipset, while the XR has the older A12.
Other differences between the iPhone 11 versus the iPhone XS include materials (aluminum vs. stainless steel), video recording (4K vs. 1080p), video playback (17 hours vs. 14 hours), and maximum capacity options (256 GB vs. 512GB).
Is the iPhone 11 worth buying in 2020?
Definitely. With the fastest smartphone chip on the planet, high quality dual-camera system, and improved all day battery life, all at lower price than typical iPhones, it’s not hard to see why it’s been the best selling smartphone in 2020 so far. And with the release of the iPhone 12, you can expect an even greater deal!
Best Deal on the iPhone 11
We offer the iPhone 11 for low prices on our marketplace – if you’re ready to get your hands on one of the best smartphones on the market, check it out.